This school year will mark my 5th year at LeGrande and 9th year of teaching in the Hart County school district. During the break, I have complete the necessary steps in becoming highly qualified to teach Middle School Social Studies (5-9), per Kentucky's Education Professional Standards Board, at the request of Ms. Harper.
I am excited to work with Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Scott, and Mrs. Trent and the entire middle school team. Focusing on one content area will be a welcome change as well, especially with the changes the state is making in Social Studies.
The next three years, the state of Kentucky is implementing new Social Studies standards in accordance with Senate Bill 1 – 2009.
What does this mean for LeGrande’s Social Studies?
- 8th grade will be assessed in SS as normal on the “old standards”.
- All other grades (k-4 & 6-7) are to begin implementing the new standards.
- Grades 6 and 7 will have to bridge gaps between the “old” and “new” standards. Instruction for this year will be a blend of “old” and “new”
- 8th grade instruction will be “old” standards, as they will be assessed on K-PREP (accountability grade for SS.)
- No SS assessment for any grades K-8 for accountability.
- Implementation year for all grades into the “new” standards.
- Assessments will return for SS in grades 5 and 8 under the “new” standards. These scores will be part of our accountability.